During firework season you can help your dog by preparing a ‘safe haven’ or a ‘dog den’. If your dog already has a hiding place, then this space can be used making it as snug and secure for your dog as possible by adding blankets or bedding.
If you are making a new ‘dog den’ from scratch, try to do this a few weeks in advance so that your dog knows it is a safe place when fireworks start. Plugging in an ADAPTIL® Diffuser or fitting an ADAPTIL Collar will increase the security felt by your dog and help to create a calm environment.
- Build your den at least 2-3 weeks before fireworks season
- Select your area: away from external windows and doors and in a quiet area of the room where you and your dog spend most of your time
- Use a dog crate. These are a great way to make a fun place for your dog to chill out.
- Select a nice comfy bed that your dog has used regularly and place it in the crate
- We now need to soundproof the crate and for this you can be inventive! Basically, it needs to be dark and soundproof! You could:
- Use blankets to cover the crate with
- Use cardboard sheets to line the outside of the crate and then place a thick duvet on top
- Cable tie egg boxes to the outside of the crate instead of cardboard sheets and then use the duvet to cover
- Make the den a positive place for your dog. Have plenty of toys and treats in there. You can also hang toys from the inside of the crate and hide treats. There a few fabric foraging toys. These are also handy to hang on the inside of the den and then hide treats in the pockets provided
- Apply ADAPTIL Spray to the bedding when you first make your den. This will help reassure your dog that it is a ‘safe place’
- For an immediate calming affect, try ADAPTIL Chews, which are perfect to use in times of increased stress. Especially formulated for dogs, the soft chew is composed of calming ingredients, give 30 mins before the expected event.
- Plug in an ADAPTIL Diffuser close to the den as well. This is proven to support your dog during fireworks but also encourages them to see their den as a ‘safe place’.
- Why not leave your den up all the time? It can be a constant safe place for your dog to retreat to during any stressful period. During hot weather, remove the duvet and use a thin sheet instead.
Try ThunderShirt - An Effective Solution to Relax Stressed Dogs
Wrap your dog with love in a ThunderShirt - ThunderShirt provides gentle, calming pressure around your dog’s torso, much like swaddling a baby. This is proven to help soothe their anxiety when fireworks are happening.
Unfortunately fireworks aren’t just on the 5th November and can last until New Year. Take a look at our expert advice to understand why dogs are often scared of fireworks and help support your dog all through fireworks season!
Want to sign up for our blog?
Information Notice The personal information collected is intended for Ceva Animal Health, and Ceva group companies, in order to manage your request. This information may be passed on to service providers in order to organize this management. In accordance with the Regulations on personal data you have rights of access, rectification and limitation of processing of your data. You may also, in certain limited cases, oppose the treatment, withdraw your consent and request the deletion and portability of your data. For any request relating to your personal data please go to this page.